Bill Evans’ popular workshop series, Earl Scruggs: A Player’s Guide, is now available for subscription on Peghead Nation! This is an eight-session series that offers a graduate-level look at the music, influence, and life of the most influential five-string banjo player in the history of the instrument. A thorough understanding of his style is essential to playing bluegrass banjo well and Earl Scruggs: A Player’s Guide picks up where Earl’s renowned instruction book Earl Scruggs and the Five-String Banjo leaves off, teaching tunes and techniques to enable each student to become a more complete Scruggs-style player.
Among the topics that Bill covers in this special course are:
- Easy Earl: straightforward tunes and solos (“Shortening Bread”)
- Early Earl: Earl with Bill Monroe and His Blue Grass Boys
- Fiddle tune and slow song (teardrop) back-up (“Fiddle and Banjo,” “I’ll Just Pretend”)
- Solos to Flatt and Scruggs vocal tunes (“Head over Heels,” “Doin’ My Time”)
- Up-the-neck solos & discussion of fingering (“Why Did You Wander?”)
- Boogie-Woogie Earl, licks and solos (“Six White Horses”)
- Drop-C tuning (“Farewell Blues,” “Ain’t Gonna Work Tomorrow”)
- Earl’s most awesome licks for leads and back-up
Bill also invited 1996 IBMA Banjo Player of the Year Charlie Cushman to join him as a very special guest for one workshop session. Charlie plays banjo and Earl Scruggs–style guitar in the Earls of Leicester, the Flatt and Scruggs tribute band led by dobro legend Jerry Douglas. He will discuss some of the most important aspects of Earl’s playing that move beyond tablature, including Earl’s fingering choices, right-hand rhythm and note spacing, and much more.
For those of you taking Bill’s courses on Peghead Nation, note that there is no repetition of Scruggs content with the lessons on the Beginning Banjo and Bluegrass Banjo courses. Please join us for this special eight-session course, Earl Scruggs: A Player’s Guide!
Take a look at new the new lessons just released in Peghead Nation courses!Read More
Our instructors have released great new lessons, tunes, and techniques in our guitar, mandolin, fiddle, banjo, dobro, ukulele, and bass courses.Read More